How to make a summery looking dish when the winter is well settled? The trick is to use some colourful fruits and vegetables such as orange and beetroots. This recipe is good for a large starter or a light lunch.
Time Preparing: 15 mins
Time Cooking: 45 mins
Season: Autumn / Winter
– 2 Beetroots
– 1 Large Orange
– Handful of Toasted Seeds (e.g Pine Nuts, Sunflower/Pumpkin Seeds)
– Olive Oil
– Salt and Pepper
1. Start by steaming the beetroot (unpeeled) for 45 minutes
2. Peel and slice the orange
3. Once the beetroots have cooled, remove the skin then slice into thin slices
4. Toast the seeds by putting on a medium heat (no oil) for around five minutes. Check regularly as they can burn very quickly!
5. Wash and slice the lettuce
6. Layer the veg onto the plate, then top with walnuts, toasted seeds, seasoning and parsley
This recipe was created for Tower Green Hamlets by Pauline Cuisine