Cabbage is often a difficult one as whilst the taste is delicious, pairing cabbage within a meal is tricky. This recipe works wonders as a side dish to hearty winter recipes, whilst adding some gorgeous hues to the plate. The best part about this super easy side, is that you can fully prepare the cabbage and reheat when you’re ready to serve without taking away any of the taste.
Time Preparing: 5 mins
Time Cooking: 30 mins
– 1 Large January King Cabbage
– 150ml Veg Stock
– 50g Butter
– Sea Salt and Black Cracked Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees
2. Start by cutting the cabbage in half, then half again (leaving all of the leaves on) so you’ve got four equal cabbage chunks
3. Wash thoroughly, being careful not to pull apart any of the leaves
4. Once the cabbage is dry, season with salt and pepper
5. Melt the butter in a large casserole dish on a medium heat, then add the cabbage quarters. Cook for 5 mins, then turn and cook for a further 5 mins so the cabbage has gone golden brown
6. Add the stock and leave on the hob for 5mins
7. Transfer casserole dish to the oven and cook for 15 minutes
NOTE: If preparing in advance, wait for the cabbage to fully cool before chilling in the refrigerator. To reheat, they’ll need 10 mins in the oven on 200 degrees.