This weeks boxes contain an abundance of salad veggies, which got us thinking that in this unprecedented heat wave, there really is nothing better than a salad packed full of veg.
Typically when thinking of salad, the ‘garden’ type will spring to mind – with this weeks onions, lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber being firm necessitates. However, there really are no limits when it comes to variations of salad. Pasta, couscous, quinoa, lentils or potatoes? Chicken, tuna, ham, prawn or vegetarian? Feta, halloumi, mozzarella or parmigiana? We’d advise starting with your choice of veg and working from there, seeing what flavours compliment certain pairings of veg. Our medium boxes this week contain Scarlet Frills, which would be compared most closely to rocket leaves, except they’re dark red, whilst our large boxes contain Lemon Balm – a member of the mint family with a number of health benefits.
We’ve found a gorgeous tuna salad recipe featuring the medium boxes Scarlet Frills, but would always advise to play around with variations to find the combinations that work for you.
Tuna Salad with Scarlet Frills, Capers & Green Beans
– 2 potatoes (from box)
– Bunch of Scarlet Frills
– 200g Green Beans
– 2 handfuls of Tomatoes (from box)
– 2 eggs
-1 tbsp capers
– 1 can tuna in sunflower oil
– 2tsp white wine vinegar
– 100g grated parmigiana
– Olive oil
1. Cut potatoes into slices. Rinse in cold water and pat dry with paper towel.
2. Heat large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Season with salt and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
3. Remove the coarse stems of the scarlet frills and tear the leaves into small pieces. Place them in a large bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, and white wine vinegar. Use your hands to massage the leaves until they’re soft and tender.
4. Add the potatoes, beans, tomatoes, and gently toss to combine. Add the drained tuna chunks and toss again. Taste, and add more salt, pepper, lemon and/or olive oil as you like.
5. Arrange quartered hard boiled eggs on top and toss in rinsed capers.
6. Grate cheese over top of salad and serve.
For more ideas on how to eat the vegetables in this week’s box, try searching on our webpage for past blogs!