The Aubergine, also known as an ‘eggplant’ over the pond, is surely one of the most versatile vegetables and a keen favourite amongst our vegetarian and vegan friends! It’ll soak up almost any flavour its paired with, whilst maintaining its creamy texture. Baked, BBQ’d, Grilled, Fried, Stuffed, Roasted, Marinated – it’s all great!
We’ve sifted through countless aubergine recipes; from curries and ratatouille’s to salads and noodle dishes, there really is an abundance of aubergine possibilities. However, the optimistic sun worshippers in us are holding out for BBQ weather, so have opted for a BBQ favourite – veggie skewers. Fear not, if you don’t have a BBQ (like a large percentage of Tower Hamlets residents), grilling is a great alternative.
Halloumi, Tomato and Aubergine Skewers
– Garlic clove, crushed
– 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
– 1 lemon, juiced
– Olive oil
– Tomatoes, chopped
– 100g halloumi, cubed
– Aubergine from box, cubed
– Crusty Bread to serve
– Rocket, to dress
1. Prepare the marinade by mixing the garlic, parsley, lemon juice and olive oil
2. Pour all but 2tbsp of the marinade into a bowl with the chopped veg before threading onto skewers
3. Place onto BBQ / under grill / on a char-grill until the halloumi has turned golden, and the tomatoes are ready to burst
4. Serve with toasted bread and drizzle with the remaining marinade
For more ideas on how to eat the vegetables in this week’s box, try searching on our webpage for past blogs!