The contents of this weeks boxes come from a little further afield than we’d usually like, as UK production has hit its lowest, after the return of the chilly weather! That being said we do have a great variety including broad beans. Typically great in salads, we’ve found a gorgeous Spring quiche recipe below including lots of yummy greens. Don’t forget the German Village and Bierfest at Mile End Park is on again this weekend – if you haven’t been down yet, go and get your hands on some Bratwurst!
– Podded broad beans (from box)
– 150g Asparagus
– Leeks (from box)
– 100g spinach
– 2 Spring Onions
– 4 eggs
– 150ml double cream
– 150ml milk
– Garlic (or nomal) Chives
– 100g feta
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC
2. Snap off and discard the woody ends from the asparagus, then slice the stalks into 1cm chunks, reserving the tips. Blanch the asparagus (including the tips), and broad beans in a pan of boiling salted water for 1 minute, then drain.
3. Roughly chop and stir in the spinach so it wilts slightly, then refresh the veg under cold running water. Drain well and place into a large bowl. Trim, finely slice and add the spring onions.
4. Crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk in the cream, milk and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Chop and stir in the chives.
5. Roll out the pastry to roughly ½cm thick. Roll the pastry up around the rolling pin, then carefully unroll it to cover a 23cm loose-bottomed tart tin. Gently press the pastry into the tart tin, moulding it to the tin as you go, then trimming any overhanging pastry
6. Spoon the greens into the pastry case, pour in the cream mixture and crumble over the goat’s cheese. Place the quiche in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until just set. Leave to cool slightly, then serve with a crisp green salad.
For more ideas on how to eat the vegetables in this week’s box, try searching on our webpage for past blogs!
This Week’s Bounty
Broad Beans, ESP
Green Kale, Perry Court
Medium & Large Boxes
Jerusalem Artichoke, Perry Court
Apples, Kent (All Boxes)
Oranges, ESP (Medium & Large Boxes)
Bananas, CIV (Large Boxes)