Next Monday is Blue Monday, and according to legend, that means it is the most depressing day of the year. It has something to do with it being January, no one has any money, the weather is pretty miserable and the joy of Christmas is well and truly forgotten. How gloomy hey?
Not to fear… this weeks box contains the wonder veg kale. Kale contains carotenoids, which is an antioxidant famed for being a happiness booster and anti-depressant. What better way to kick your Blue Monday blues than with a dose of vitamin enriched happiness!
Below is a great kale-centred pesto recipe perfect for a warming pasta dish.
Small bunch of kale (remove thick part of stems)
25g walnuts, toasted
½ to 1 clove of garlic
90g olive oil
Juice & zest of one lemon
Salt & pepper to taste
Optional: grated parmesan or pecorino cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Fill a large bowl with ice and water.
- Blanch kale for about 30 seconds, remove and place in the ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Dry the kale a bit, squeeze out some of excess water and set on a towel for a few minutes more.
- Blend everything together in a food processor, including the kale. Pulse to create a chunky pesto, blend longer to create a smoother one. Taste and adjust, adding more salt, pepper, lemon, olive oil, as necessary.
- Add the pesto to your pasta dish with a dash of olive oil and serve with warmed garlic bread.
This Week’s Bounty
Charlotte Potatoes, Perry Court
Impala Cabbage, Lancs
Squash, Perry Court
Mibuna, Perry Court
Apples, Kent (All Boxes)
Nuts, France (Medium & Large Boxes)
Naval Oranges, Spain (Large Box)