This week we have the first broad beans of the season, albeit from Spain, whilst we wait for our very own British broad beans and hopefully for more sun for all the crops. These harbingers of spring are full of protein plus is a great source of vitamins A, B1 and B2.
Broad beans should be podded, unless they are very young and tender. Put the beans in a pan, cover with boiling water, return to the boil and cook for 3-5 minutes (best not overcooked!). Then drain, empty into cold water, slit each pod along its seam and run your thumb along the furry inside to push the beans out.
BBC guide on what to do with broad beans offers good coverage as usual but also check out
Guardian’s hot-off-the-press write-up of broad bean recipes by the chef of River Cafe: suggestions include the lamb with broad beans and fennel seeds and smashed broad beans looks great…there is also a recipe if you have some source of dog-free dandelion…
Or try the multitude of suggestions:
- Pod, purée, serveda with a little fried garlic
- Parboil podded broad beans and peas, add some fried onion and serve with grilled halloumi and torn mint leaves
- Top and tail very young broad beans and serve whole, in their pods, with a chunk of pecorino and some bread
- Wahaca’s cheesy broad bean, pea and sweet potato quesadilla
- Roast beef with broad bean and mushrooms for this week’s Sunday roast with juicy fresh vegetables replacing Yorkshire pudding as an accompaniment to the Sunday joint, giving a lighter touch
- One-pan broad bean and chicken pilaf
- Spicy sweet potato and broad bean curry wonderfully flavoured with coconut and oil and tangy tamarind
- Broccoli, broad bean and feta salad with quinoa and avocado for a complete meal
For some of the other items in the box, well, you probably never thought to combine broccoli and avocado but why not try a charred broccoli and avocado salad or an broccoli, avocado and lime salad (use soy sauce if you don’t have tamari) – both use tahini but the latter with an Asian twist.
For more ideas on how to eat the vegetables in this week’s box, try searching on our webpage for past blogs!
This Week’s Bounty
* Sarpo Mira, Perry Court
* Turnips, Perry Court
* Red Onion, Netherlands
* Avocado, Spain
* Broad Beans, Spain
Sweet Potato, TBC
* Kiwi, Italy
Navel Orange, Spain
Items starred (*) above