If you are having a traditional lamb roast this Easter weekend to celebrate the death and resurrection of the Lamb we’ve got the perfect box with all the vegetables you need for all the classic dishes to a roast.
Before we come onto the details of that, do note that whilst Stepney City Farm is usually closed on Mondays, it will be open on Bank holiday Mondays which means that you can collect your boxes on Easter Monday in addition to the usual Friday-Sunday window. Check out the many events happening this weekend including an Easter treasure hunt. There are also Good Friday and Easter Sunday services, meditations and family fun day at St Anne’s Limehouse and St Paul’s Shadwell, two of our other collection points (click on links for times).
The Guardian’s 10 best roast dinner side dishes by Ottolenghi is one of our favourite links. It covers just about the entire box for this week:
- The first recipe for leafy greens with lemon, parsley and capers work just as well for green kale. Or try this smoky creamed kale with dry mustard and smoked paprika.
- Try the carrot puree with some ground mace (or roast with honey and coriander/ cumin spices if you prefer) and the roast parsnips with maple syrup and sesame seed for a little touch of magic.
- The cabbage recipe with bacon, rosemary and red wine vinegar works just as well for the red cabbage in the box this week. Or try this roasted red cabbage slaw with hazelnuts and honey lemon
- It’s golden yellow beetroot this week, but it works just as well in the beetroot and shallot gratin full of double cream and cheesey goodness with beautiful wafts of thyme and rosemary aroma.
- If you’ve still got room (or the guests do) a wondering roasted caulifower cheese with fried capers – extra special with some gruyere or Comté and a grating of nutmeg. Perfect big meal with leftovers for the rest of the long weekend.
And after a glorious Easter meal along with way too many chocolate eggs and bunnies, leek and potato soup (if you haven’t eaten up all those crisp spuds) may just be in order for the rest of the week…
For more ideas on how to eat the vegetables in this week’s box, try searching on our webpage for past blogs!
This Week’s Bounty
* Linda Potatoes, Perry Court
* Cauliflower, Kent
* Carrots, Lincs
* Leeks, Kent
* Parsnips, Lincs
* Green Kale, Notts
Red Cabagge, Yorks
Beetroot Golden, Lancs
Turnips, Perry Court
Russet Apples, Kent
* Grapefruit, Spain
Items starred (*) above