We have rainbow chard this week so if you are scratching for ideas for how to eat it this week’s newsletter is written for you (white chard recipes work just as well).
Lentil dal with hearty greens together with naan bread (yes, from the ready-made or frozen section unless you really are up for making from scratch) is definitely a recipe to put those beet greens to work (yes! you can eat those beetroot tops) as well as swiss chard.
Be really innovative and use your swiss chard leaves as taco shells as suggested by this swiss chard taco wraps with cumin-lime sauce. You don’t have follow the wraps recipe exactly, simply fill with your favourite chilli con carne and some cooked wild rice if you fancy. Or never thought of using swiss chard as salad? Here’s one for you: chard salad with garlic breadcrumbs and parmesan.
For the fuss-free mid-week supper this really easy but delicious one pot chicken and rice with swiss chard nails it, and makes use of your carrots (or parsnips) too! And a great meal to make in make in advance and to come home to is the white chard stew/soup recipe – canned tomatoes would work just as well and it’s great for your less-than-fresh-out-of-the-oven bread.
For your other vegetables in your box here are a few ideas from our past newsletters/blog posts:
- Beetroot – Have a look at our “Need some aphrodisiac? Try beetroot!” or our New Year blog posts for some ideas and also our Beetroot and Feta Couscous write-up. Also works well with spinach, goats cheese and pasta as suggested by one of you also! Our frog friends from across the stream (where they eat a lot more of them) also recommend cubing or sling them into a salad and dressing with French vinaigerette (oil, vinegar/lemon juice and mustard).
- Carrots, Swede, Parsnips – Rooting for Roots cheer these lovely roots on and also check out How Swedes Eat Swede
- Red Cabbage – Try the traditional braised red cabbage with apples (for those apples and onions in the box this week) or braised with balsamic vinegar as suggested by dear Jamie. And check out BBC GoodFood’s Top 10 for more ideas
This Week’s Bounty
* Sarpo Mira Potatoes, Perry Court
* Yellow Onions, Norfolk
* Rainbow Chard, Perry Court
* Parsnips, Perry Court
* Beetroot, Perry Court
Red Cabbage, Lancs
Items starred (*) above
Spinach, Perry Court
Pears – Conference (standard only)
Apples – Spartan