Hope you are enjoying the band of hot air from the continent bringing the balmy temperatures and the bright spring sunshine thanks to the Spanish Plume, whilst Madrid languishes in cooler temperatures in the teens.
So why not try some of the Spanish recipe suggestions for your veg this week:
- Chorizo, cabbage, chickpea stew – throw in a can of tomatoes if you like and some potatoes for a heartier meal. Add some sherry or red/white wine for extra body. It is a tasty meal, perfect for hot summer evenings and eaten while admiring star-filled skies in Spain.
- Sopa de repollo is a traditional cabbage soup from Spain. And as as quoted from the article in the link: “There is nothing bland or boring here. Slightly caramelized onions along with bacon and olive oil make this soup truly extraordinary.” Use stock cubes if you like instead of the suggested Maggi seasoning in the recipe, or try this “Chilean” version or a Spanish-French Mallorja soup to use your potatoes and leeks also
- Dress with salt, lemon juice, some balsamic, olive oil and chopped parley – let it stand for awhile to let the flavours really develop
- Galician stew – You would struggle to believe that this recipe could possibly be vegetarian with such meaty ingredients like pork belly, fat streaky bacon, ham knuckle and half a pig’s head cut into four (!) listed. But Galician chefs believe that “this stew could, if so desired, survive just fine without the meat. But that, without the cabbage and chickpeas, it would not be anywhere near as good.” Cheat and use canned chickpeas.
- Pork stuffed cabbage rolls – We’ve featured stuffed cabbage before but here’s a Spanish version that’s quite different!
- Spanish slaw – For those of us for whom summer really has arrived and is getting the BBQ out…
For more ideas on how to eat the vegetables in this week’s box, try searching on our webpage for past blogs!
This Week’s Bounty
* Charlotte Potatoes, Lincs
* Onions, Norfolk
* Carrots, Scotland
* Tundra Cabbage, Lincs
* Leeks, Kent
Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Kent
Mustard Leaf, Perry Court
Golden Beetroot, Lancs
Items starred (*) above
Swiss Chard, France
Oranges, Spain (standard only)
Apples – Jonagold, Kent