We brought you purple and rainbow carrots, and golden and striped beetroots, and now we’ve got red brussel sprouts for you this week.
With a stronger and more intense flavour, the red variety also have additional health benefits due to the higher levels of anthocyanins that they carry – the chemicals that are found in the skins of grapes which help us to justify drinking red wine. This very British Christmas vegetable (like parsnips) is a Christmas veg largely due to seasonality and hardiness from freezing, but it really is not just for Christmas (we are still in November after all).
Take inspiration from Mark and Spencer’s Christmas food line this year, which includes sprout juice and sprout coleslaws. You’ve got time to perfect your sprout cooking for Christmas so why not try them with balsamic vinegar glazed red onions or a pancetta and lemon zing, rather than the usual overboiling experience.
And whilst we’re on brassicas, for those of you with sprout tops, we’ve featured them in the past (link here) but for a few more cooking ideas (which also works for your bag of kale) think of it as an alternative to spring greens. As with most greens, either eat them whole or roughly chopped, then steam or microwave until a luscious green sheen shines through. Then go with your mood for the moment:
- some pure simple butter and seasoning
- try a Jamie Oliver’s lemony twist
- fry up some pancetta or bacon, then add sprout tops and cook for a little longer
- stir fry some chopped garlic, slices of ginger and chopped chilli if you like, add the sprout tops and then finish with some sesame oil, soy sauce and/or oyster sauce, maybe topped with some roasted/ground peanuts and cashews. You could make this a complete meal by stir-frying your meat or tofu before adding the greens
On what to do with some of the vegetables in your veg box here are a few ideas, some of which from our past newsletters/ blog posts:
- Leek – The classic leek and potato soup makes the perfect winter comfort food, or add some bacon for a variation
- Kohl Rabi – Have a look at our Kohl-Rabi Kohl-Slaw blog post for some ideas
- Parsnip – Rooting for Roots has some cheering these lovely roots on
As an admin point – all of the boxes are labelled with your names so do check carefully to make sure you are taking the correct boxes.
And if you are away for Christmas and/or New Year drop us a note to let us know which boxes you would like to skip. Boxes will be available for collection from Friday 19th December, Tuesday 23rd December (an early Christmas box) and Friday 2nd January. Combining the two pre-Christmas boxes for a single collection is also possible, but do let us know.
This Week’s Bounty
* Bakers Potatoes, Lincs
* Carrots, Lancs
* Leeks, Lancs
* Kohl Rabi, Lancs
* Green Kale, Kent
Red Sprouts, Lancs
Items starred (*) above
Land Cress, Perry Court
Oranges, Spain (standard only)
Apples – Gala, Kent