The weather is looking up post-Bertha-rains, giving the farmers a break from needing to irrigate the green crops.
So back to the salads but this time why not give coleslaws a go with a slight twist since the crunchy kohl rabi Sputnik will land in the standard boxes this week for the first time!!!
Although a kohl rabi may look like a turnip, it is actually not a root vegetable but a brassica so in the same family as broccoli. It’s taste is similar to the heart of broccoli stems after you strip away the tougher outer bits – in case you’ve been throwing those bits away!
If they come with leaves those can be eaten as you would spinach. As for the bulbs, simply peel them and try one of these options:
- shredded or julienned using a food processor, grater or special peeler, together with carrots for a kohl-rabi kohl-slaw then dress with mayo and/or sour cream for the creaminess, a little sugar and vinegar for the sweet and sour, and some mustard or horseradish if you like a little (or a lot of) kick
- sliced thinly for a kohl rabi carpaccio and dressed with lemon/vinegar, oil and seasoning, plus any other herbs like thyme or cumin depending its accompaniments
- diced for a kohl rabi soup (use regular onions in your box instead of salad onions) in case the weather turns again – throw in some rice and drizzle in a beaten egg for a complete meal
- diced and steamed, then dressed with olive oil or butter, lemon and chopped parsley
- cut into battons and sauteed in butter, then finish with a splash of white wine
This Week’s Bounty
* Bambino Potatoes, Perry Court
* Onions, Kent
* Carrots, Lancs
* Round Tomatoes, Perry Court
* Spinach, Perry Court
Courgette, Perry Court
Runner Beans, Kent
Kohl Rabi, Kent
Items starred (*) above
Bulls Blood, Perry Court
Discovery Apples, Kent
Plums, Kent (standard box only)